Tuesday, October 28, 2014

American Cemeteries Memorializing U.S. Soldiers

My research of the Christian Monath family has been an interesting yet time consuming, adventure!  Not that I am complaining, but maybe my husband has thoughts on this.  I spend too much time on the computer and driving to places to spend more time than I find information.  But that is research, right?

Last Friday he and I visited the Maryland State Archives.  After several hours on their database, we came home with about eight death certificates.  Yes, just eight.  There is a saying, all good things take time.

When adding the death certificate information to my database, I looked closer at my great uncle Augustus Monath's life.  I learned that his youngest son, Walter August Monath, died while serving in the   U. S. Army during the First World War. Needing to know more, I checked Ancestry.com and then did a Google search.  The search led me to a website that features records of approximately 200,000 U.S. servicemen who were killed or missing in action during World War 1, World War 2, and Korean Conflict and buried or memorialized on foreign soil.

Walter served as Sergeant in the U. S. Army, 19th Field Artillery Regiment, 5th Division and is buried in the St. Mihiel American Cemetery in the St. Mihiel American Cemetery, Thiaucourt, St. Mihiel, France.  His grave site is noted down to the row and plot. He was born in August of 1897, and killed in action on September 26, 1918.  

I came another step closer to learning about my Monath family. 




1 comment:

  1. Very neat find! We'll need to continue your research in France!

    ReplyDelete